[horde] Test Script and availability on mobiles

Jens-Uwe Mozdzen jmozdzen at nde.ag
Wed Oct 9 19:22:17 UTC 2013

Hi John,

Zitat von John McIntyre <joh98.mac at gmail.com>:
> Hi Jens,
> That's the problem - my httpd.conf _does_ have that alias in it.

you're right - you had mentioned this in your original message, but I
had already deleted that one :[

OTOH, my experience with autodiscovery weren't too promising, but I
have a probably more complex situation than usual (mix of DNS servers,
Horde server not on the main domain etc)...

> I'm beginning to wonder if the issue is because of permissions.  I hadn't
> remembered this just until now - usually, when I alter the configuration of
> the horde instance, I get an error message that the web interface has not
> been able to create or alter the configuration script.  The permissions on
> /usr/share/horde are..
>
> drwxr-xr-x   24 root root    4096  9 oct.  14:10 horde
>
> Should that be apache:apache?

no, it shouldn't - but the config directories of the various modules
(horde/config, horde/imp/config etc.) need write permission for the
web server user.

> When I try to access mydomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml from a
> browser, I get ..
>
> XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX - sddfds [09/Oct/2013:14:24:42 +0100] "GET
> /autodiscover/autodiscover.xml HTTP/1.1" 401 - "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux
> x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/30.0.1599.66
> Safari/537.36"

this does sound ok to me, but others might be much more authoratative on that.

> .. in the access logs of the apache server.  When I come from my iPhone,
> there's nothing at all in the logs.  For info, here is my conf.php file..

sounds like the situation I was facing - my mobile device used some
algorithm to decide which server to actually contact and I never
figured out what DNS name it actually used.

BTW, you might want to set up the parameters manually in the
ActiveSync profile on your mobile device anyhow, just to check if the
final ActiveSync calls will work at all.

Sorry for the direct reply, this is more of an opinion than actual
helpful stuff, so I wouldn't want to take it to the list.

Regards,
Jens
--
Jens-U. Mozdzen                         voice   : +49-40-559 51 75
NDE Netzdesign und -entwicklung AG      fax     : +49-40-559 51 77
D-22423 Hamburg                         e-mail  : jmozdzen at nde.ag

         Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Angelika Mozdzen
           Sitz und Registergericht: Hamburg, HRB 90934
                   Vorstand: Jens-U. Mozdzen
                    USt-IdNr. DE 814 013 983