[horde] Can't update Horde_Image

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Fri Apr 4 13:36:29 UTC 2014

> Zitat von Dominik Erdmann <horde_mailing at der-domi.de>:
>
>> Hey!
>>
>> I updated the yesterday published packages. But I had problems with
>> Horde_Image.
>>
>> # pear upgrade -a -B -c horde
>> Failed to download pecl/imagick within preferred state "stable",
>> latest release is version 3.2.0RC1, stability "beta", use
>> "channel://pecl.php.net/imagick-3.2.0RC1" to install
>> Unknown remote channel: pear.phpunit.de
>> horde/Horde_Image requires package "pecl/imagick" (version >=
>> 2.0.0, version <= 3.0.0alpha1, excluded versions: 3.0.0alpha1),
>> installed version is 3.1.2
>>
>> # pecl install imagick
>> pecl/imagick is already installed and is the same as the released
>> version 3.1.2
>> install failed
>>

>> Is there an issue in the packaging and I only have to wait a few
>> days. Or do I have to downgrade imagick?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Dominik
>
> No, this is my fault. I noticed we use some method that only existed
> in 2.0.0+ but didn't check which versions currently exist. We
> probably still want to use 3.x maximum to avoid BC breaking changes.
> Assuming that imagick uses semantic versioning. Michael, what's your
> experience?

ImageMagick (the CLI) has been historically horrible with BC, even
within bug fix versions. Imagick (the PECL extension), however has
been pretty decent with maintaining BC. The CHANGELOG in the 3.x
releases for Imagick states only that version 2.x is not compatible
with earlier versions of the API. Earlier versions that broke BC were
clearly marked and nothing in the 3.x series seems to say there are
any BC breaks. There was only one listed minor BC break in the 2.1
series, and it was to fix incorrect behavior. I would feel pretty
confident allowing any 3.x version.

--
mike
The Horde Project