[horde] explain $_prefs['activesync_multiplex'] setting in Horde 5.2

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sun May 11 15:42:00 UTC 2014

> Quoting Samuel Wolf <samuel at sheepflock.de>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> can someone explain the Horde $_prefs['activesync_multiplex']
>> setting for me?
>
> "Multiplex" refers to multiple data sources being combined into a
> single stream (the term originates from the telecommunications
> industry). Previously when a user has multiple sources, like e.g.,
> address books, that they want synchronized, we "multiplexed" all of
> the data from the selected address books into a single address book
> "stream" that was sent to the client. This is because, originally,
> EAS did not support multiple sources, and even now, that it does, a
> fair number of clients do not.
>
> In Horde 5.2, support was added to allow sending each source
> individually, i.e., non-multiplexed. So, for clients that support it
> (like recent iOS versions), you can see and manage each separate
> address book separately, instead of combined together. For
> calendars, for reasons that I won't get into here, this allows
> allows Horde to synchronize shared (but still writable) calendars.
>
> This preference allows the user to maintain the previous behavior of
> always combining multiple sources (activesync_multiplex == 1, the
> default), or allowing use of multiple collections. The default was
> set to 1 for BC reasons.
>
> Additionally, there is code in the library that attempts to detect
> the ability of each client to use separate collections, and disable
> them if it is known that they cannot.
>
> Hope this clears things up a bit.

*Sigh* Sorry about that. This pref is a leftover from developing that
feature. The preference was moved to application-specific
activesync-no-multiplex settings that operate in a similar way, but
allow selecting the feature for each application since some clients
only support the feature for certain collections.

--
mike
The Horde Project