[horde] SOLVED: Email server does not support IMAP4rev1 (RFC 3501)

Jason Anderson axetone at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 6 20:19:16 UTC 2014

SOLVED:
I found the solution to the IMAP4rev1 issue,...basically, after re-running "dovecot -n" I noticed that an error read:
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:20: 'imaps' protocol is no longer supported. to disable non-ssl imap, use service imap-login { inet_listener imap { port=0 } }
<b>AND</b>
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:20: 'pop3s' protocol is no longer supported. to disable non-ssl pop3, use service pop3-login { inet_listener pop3 { port=0 } }
So, I had to edit the dovecot.conf file and deleted the items "imaps" and "pop3s" from protocols line (leaving just imap and pop3)...below is example of what was changed; The only concern that I have with this is that apparently the syntax of explicitly writing out the functions of the protocol(s) is no longer linear...even more specifically to that point is that I followed the HORDE documentation to build this, and guess what...-this issue of NO LONGER SUPPORTING IMAPS AND POP3S syntax didn't make the documentation?!?! Seriously, what gives? Is this just a hook to get Pro-support? Anyway, I made the changes below...-fixed the IMAP4rev1 issue (but read, there's still more to do after this issue is fixed.
<code>
protocols = imap pop3
service imap-login {
  inet_listener imap {
    port = 143
  }
}
service pop3-login {
  inet_listener pop3 {
    port = 995
  }
}
</code>
However, I still cannot login as now I am facing other issues...~specifically my mail.err log file (in /var/log folder) shows these new errors:
Jul 5 12:54:10 mail dovecot: imap-login: Error: Timeout waiting for handshake from auth server. my pid=1684, input bytes=0
Jul 5 12:54:40 mail dovecot: auth: Fatal: No passdbs specified in configuration file. PLAIN mechanism needs one
Jul 5 12:54:40 mail dovecot: master: Error: service(auth): command startup failed, throttling
...~so off I go chasing those down, but at least this issue above is fixed (for now). I honestly do not think the documentation should be this inaccurate. We'll see how long this takes to get all the "features" worked out. Hope this helps someone along the way.