[horde] KitKat email clients with Horde

Simon Wilson simon at simonandkate.net
Fri Jul 11 00:43:17 UTC 2014

The Samsung email client that comes with the S4 KitKat is the same one
that has been there since 4.2, and it's really not that special, so
I'm trying some alternatives for Android 4.4.2.

I installed the Android Email / Exchange APKs (I tried both 6.0 and
6.2), and found that unlike every other client it displays my Imp /
IMAP folder structure with Drafts / Sent / Saved Emails / Trash as
sitting UNDERNEATH Inbox, so at the top of my Inbox display is the
list of those folders... :( Anyone else have the same? Is it likely to
be something about how I have my userspace or something?

Of the others I am looking at:

"Nine" works really well, very nice UI, seems to be working nicely. My
only gripes are that it supports AS 14.0 only not 14.1; and the unread
count on the icon displays count of all unread emails that it knows
about - you can't tell it to 'just show me unread count of inbox'. $10
too. Calendar and Contacts are shunted neatly into the existing
Android data stores.

"MailWise" has a bit of a way to go with a few things - not so pretty,
slower, no unread count support on icon, no ability to change font
size, but does nicely roll up things like Google+ updates into single
update threads. Also nice ability to change what swipe left / swipe
right does in the email list. Free. Haven't tried its Calendar or
Contacts sync yet.

Simon

--
Simon Wilson