[horde] Help with all of this

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Fri Jul 11 11:32:27 UTC 2014

On 7/10/2014 5:37 PM, Erling Preben Hansen wrote:
>  Citat af Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com>:

>>> all
> were

>>> you need to make that backend.local.php
>>>
>>> and you need to read upgrading info.
>>> http://www.horde.org/apps/imp/docs/UPGRADING
>>> /erling
>>
>> The list only goes back to IMP 4.0, and I'm running IMP 3.2.1.
>>
>> Looks like I've got a lot of reading to do.
>>
>> Thanks for all the help.
>>
>> steve
>> --
>
> Hey
> I understand that you upgrade from a very old one.
> In that case, I think it will be best for you.
> To put most of what you are used to in the background and start all over.
>
> To configure all normal thing in Horde it is best to use the web
> interface.
> You avoid typos and you get a small explanation of most config options.
> So the first thing is to get the login working to get to admin page.
> check If your webserver has the needed rewrite rules and /or access to
> .htaccess.
> and your filepermissions is in order.
> Check logs for errors.
> fix those errors, there is, often a google search will get you a long
> way.
> I know this is time consuming.
> Hordes wiki has many answers mail list arkive to. But goolge will often
> find those faster than a manuel search.
> There is only one way....
>
> For some of os to helpyou better it would be nice to know....
> are you using imp to authenticate users or do you use a seperat database.
> what webserver are you using what is working and what is not.
>
> /erling
Funny thing, I was going to address most of what you had mentioned this
morning.

I am installing a new server. I'm not upgrading anything. The only thing
I will be using from the old server is the database if I can import what
data was used on the old database. I realize the database has changed,
and the fact that the way horde/webmail is installed, that there will be
a lot more tables in the database. So here's what I've got now on the
new server.

I use Centos 6.5 - 64 bit - on the new machine. I'm using the Horde
Groupware Webmail Edition 5 to get Imp installed. The version of Imp I
had on the old system, a Centos 3 machine, was 3.2.1. It's taking me a
little while to figure out what's changed and where stuff is placed now
(things like using backends.php instead of servers.php), but I'm getting
there. Reading the UPGRADING doc yesterday helped quite a bit, even
though it only starts discussing upgrading version 4 and above.

We use Imp exclusively from the groupware. That may change since so many
other parts of Horde are installed in the groupware installation. There
are 3 main domains here. I use a dropdown on the login screen to allow
people to select their domain. Instead of a local machine running
dovecot or some other IMAP server, I run Perdition. Perdition will
redirect the imap (and pop if necessary) connection to the proper server
for each user. It works very well.

All of the functions I need of IMP are working at the current time. My
main problem right now is I'm sure my installation isn't as stable as it
could be. During installation, I ran into a lot of dependency problems,
and ended up using "-f --alldeps -B" to get this installed. No matter
how I tried to resolve the problems, it seemed I just found others along
the way.

The only problem I see now is that I can't use the Admin pages at all.
My apache logs (using the default apache that comes with a Centos
install httpd-2.2.15-30) is showing that any admin page can't find
"lib/base.php". There may be more it can't find, but that seems to be
the first hurdle. It's looking in the proper place, but that file
doesn't exist, so I'm sure it's due to the way I installed. I followed
the installation instructions except for adding the "-f" to the "pear
install -a -B horde/webmail" command.

I could leave it like this since it's running and doing everything it
needs to do, but I'm retiring in a month and would like to have the
admin stuff working for my replacement. I'm sure he's never even heard
of Horde.

So my questions for now is "What causes the lib/base.php file to get
installed?". Is there a way to rerun something just to get that part of
the installation done?

Thanks for the patient reply. I know this is a lot of trouble for you guys.

steve campbell