[horde] 5.2 upgrade : fatal error while editing prefs for imp

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Mon Sep 8 16:21:27 UTC 2014

On 9/5/2014 3:31 PM, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
> Quoting Nels Lindquist <nlindq at maei.ca>:
>
>> I don't have a definition of local overrides in my
>> horde/config/prefs.php file.  I searched for "ocal overrides"
>> and there's exactly one instance of it, which is identical to
>> what you've quoted above.
>
> Looks like this:
>
> https://github.com/horde/horde/blob/horde-5.2.1/horde/config/prefs.php#L20

That's

the example I was referring to, I do have that.

> Not to mention that configuration is also mentioned in
> docs/INSTALL:
>
> https://github.com/horde/horde/blob/horde-5.2.1/horde/docs/INSTALL#L589

Okay,

that looks to be very helpful.  Problem is, I don't have any
docs/ directories in either Horde or any of the Webmail Edition
application folders.  I installed from Pear as per the online
documentation at the time (I currently have "Horde Groupware Webmail
Edition 5.14" with Horde 5.1.6 installed), with no errors.  I was
surprised to see there were no longer docs/ directories, but assumed
everything had been moved to the wiki.

>> There *is* an example prefs file which I clearly should have paid
>> more attention to, but in my defense I'd argue that nine comment
>> lines out of 260 or so at the top of the file makes it pretty
>> easy to downplay its importance.
>
> I accept if we provide documentation and it is
> confusing/incomplete/inconsistent.  That should be fixed.
>
> But the argument of "prefs.php is huge and the comments on the top
> are small so they must not be important"?  That is a non-starter to
> me.  By that logic, an admin is never at fault because they
> shouldn't be expected to read the documentation.

I'm not saying the comments are small; I'm saying that the few lines
devoted to the example didn't stand out (for me) as being more
critical compared to the rest of the comments, many of which were
completely irrelevant to my setup.  I absolutely agree that admins
must read the documentation, but with most complex
systems/applications you need to read the parts which are relevant to
your installation, which is often a small fraction of the overall
documentation.  In my case I'm apparently missing a big chunk of the
documentation entirely, and I'm not sure why...

Anyway, yes, absolutely I should have seen/paid more attention to the
prefs file example, but I think the documentation/comments could be
structured in such a way as to better highlight its importance.

I'm going to upgrade to 5.2 (and hopefully get "docs/" this time)
prior to submitting suggestions; some of what's been mentioned already
is a good start.

> Looks like Jan added some additional text to the prefs.php files
> yesterday in git.

I'll have a look at that as well.

> Not quite.  You have the order wrong (you are correct that all
> Horde config files, not just prefs, are loaded with the same order
> precedence).
>
> Correct order is: - prefs.php - prefs.d/*.php - prefs.local.php -
> prefs-[vhost].php
>
> After loading all of these, this is the canonical preferences
> definition for that particular system.  It includes not just
> preference values, but also UI-related data.
>
> For prefs.php, there is the additional step where ONLY preference
> values can additionally be modified by the prefs backend storage
> (UI-related prefs data is not affected).

Thanks very much!

- --
Nels Lindquist
<nlindq at maei.ca>