[horde] nginx dynamic view problem?

Ruud Baart r.j.baart at prompt.nl
Fri Jan 9 09:55:33 UTC 2015

I intend to replace apache with nginx: more speed, better scalable etc.
On a test server I installed:

  * debian jessie
  * nginx 1.6.2
  * php5-fpm 5.6.4
  * dovecot 2.2.13

First I installed latest horde the 'classic' way: with apache. That
works 100% OK. Web interface, smartphone, imap, activesync etc. All OK.

I changed to nginx. I know it is not the preferred web server but there
are several reports that the combination nginx/php5-pfm/horde works
without any problem.

I managed to get everything working: web interface, activesync. But the
web interface works only correct is basic mode. The dynamic mode works
partially, problems with imp and kronolith. With my smart phone
activesync works correct but the web interface in smart phone/tablet
mode does not work. I can login but selecting mail, appointment etc does
not work. With the dynamic web interface I get the message "Error
communicating with the server". Further I can't find a real helpful message.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

My current nginx host configuration (which I found in several posts on
Internet):

server {
    listen 443 ssl;
    listen [::]:443 ssl;
    ssl_certificate /somewhere/webmail.pem;
    ssl_certificate_key /somewhere/webmail.key;

    root /srv/webmail/horde;
    server_name webmail.xx.yy;

    location / {
       root /srv/webmail/horde;
       rewrite_log on;
       rewrite ^/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync(.*)$ /rpc.php$1 last;
       rewrite ^/[Aa]utodiscover/[Aa]utodiscover.xml /rpc.php;
       try_files $uri $uri/ /rampage.php?$args;
       location ~ \.php$ {
          fastcgi_param PHP_VALUE "cgi.fix_pathinfo=1";
          fastcgi_split_path_info ^(.+\.php)(/.+)$;
          fastcgi_param PATH_INFO $fastcgi_path_info;
          fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock;
          fastcgi_param HTTPS on;
          fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
          include snippets/fastcgi-php.conf;
       }

       location ~* ^/(.+\.(jpg|jpeg|gif|css|png|js|ico|html|xml|txt))$ {
          root /srv/webmail/horde;
       }
    }
}