[horde] Using Horde_Imap_Client_Socket, able to connect but no data is ever sent (always a "ERROR: read/timeout error")

Meitar meitarm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 22:03:08 UTC 2016

On Aug 2, 2016, at 7:57 PM, Meitar <meitarm at gmail.com> wrote:

> My issue seems to be that despite being able to connect to an IMAP server, no data is ever sent or received after the initial connection when trying to perform an IMAP `search()`. The debug log simply shows the following snippet whenever I try to do search():
>
> ------------------------------
>>> Wed, 03 Aug 2016 01:10:30 +0000
>>> Connection to: imap://my.imap-server.com:993/
>>> Server connection took 0.6241 seconds.
>>> Slow Command: 30.004 seconds
>>> ERROR: read/timeout error.

Hi all,

I have resolved this on my own, apologies for the noise.

The issue turned out to be that I misunderstood the behavior of the `tls` value to the `secure` parameter in Horde_Imap_Client_Socket constructor. I was under the impression that it would automatically negotiate the connection settings, but after tracing the code I see this is not so. Forcing the Horde IMAP Client to use TLSv1 using the `tlsv1` value fixed this issue for me.

Apologies for the noise!

Cheers,
-Meitar Moscovitz