[imp] Virtual Domains

Paul Hansen phansen@newsmile.com
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:11:48 -0400 (EDT)

Quoting Will Prater <datafirm@mm3k.com>:

> I have users who mail accounts go to different domains other than my
> primary domain where I have set up 'http://webmail.domain.com'
> When an individual whose mail address is a virtual domain, ie:
> dave@ohterdomain.com. I would like the 'reply to:' address to be that
> of a virtual domain when they compose mail from imp.
> I was just looking for solutions.

I don't think you said what mail server you are running, but you might check
out the cyrus-imapd-sql package,
http://freshmeat.net/projects/cyrus-imapd-sql/ , which includes:

 - A Perl daemon that checks against against an SQL table so you can
have "virtual" accounts. A basic user administration script is provided.

 - Cyrus is patched to allow colons in mailbox names; this permits a
user::domain:name syntax for user accounts, so each domain can have its
own "joe" user.

The cyrus-imapd-sql package is working well for me, but I am not using the
user::domain:name usernames because I don't currently need virtual user support.

You'll also need some sort of virtual user support in your mail transport. I've
never tested it, but I think you'd need some sort of local (procmail, etc.)
delivery wrapper to translate a username to user::domain:name for local
delivery within Cyrus.

Perhaps after 2.3 is released I'll look into dealing with this in IMP. A few
people have asked about this type of setup; would the user::domain:name
formatting a good format to standardize on for this within IMP, or does it seem
a bit too kludgy? The method suggested in the FAQ requires that the "username"
be unique on the IMAP server, so you can't have joe@host.com and joe@host.org
supported through the same IMAP server when accessing it through IMP.

Regards,

Paul

--
Webmaster - NewSmile.com