[imp] Message Filters

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 18:24:49 -0500

Quoting E J B <security@sysdump.com>:

> I believe (I could be wrong) that the mail is first put in the users inbox, and
> is subsequentally moved depending on the filter rule. I don't know enough about
> how IMAP works to say for certain.

IMAP has nothing to do with mail delivery, which is why it is a less than
ideal platform to do filtering with. However, enough people have requested
this feature that it will probably make it into some future version of IMP.

To be clear, though:
1. It will not become an official part of 2.2
2. It will not become an official part of 2.3. Filtering qualifies as a big
   feature, and we've got a freeze on large features for 2.3 in the interest
   of pushing it out sooner.
3. I'm happy to accept code to do filtering, and if someone else writes it
   that'll accelerate the rate of it being included in IMP, but it will have
   to be very cleanly written and well abstracted and as efficient as
   possible to make it in.

-chuck

--
"To age is to ripen into a luscious fruit." - fortune cookie