[imp] Vacation Message

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu
Wed, 08 Nov 2000 18:49:54 -0600 (CST)

Quoting Joseph Brennan <brennan@columbia.edu>:

> --On Tuesday, November 7, 2000 11:10 -0600 Eric Jon Rostetter
> <eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu> wrote:

Well, since you quoted me, I'll reply...

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I?d like to have a imp plugin for auto-generated messages
> >> or a user frontend to .vacation
> >> Is there anything around ?
>
> The client should not assume that the server is a unix host, or even
> if it is, that the imap account has a home directory in which to put
> vacation files.  The recent proposals for a procmail front end make
> the same bad assumption.  This stuff does not belong in IMP.

I agree, and hence the fact that I never sent my modifications in to
be part of Horde/IMP.  I was simply replying to someone who wanted such a
thing and saying they can take a look at what I implemented if they
want.   I've done forwards, vacation notices, password changes, etc.
I've also added in to the horde framework around IMP some html bookmarks, a
java ssh client, and other horde modules.  That's what I like about Horde/IMP,
is that we *can* modify *our* copy if we so choose.  But I'd never try to
submit these changes to the official horde/imp distribution, since they
are not portable by nature.

> At sites that have hardcoded their installation of IMP to go to only
> one specific imap host, then it would certainly be appropriate and
> useful to place a link in the IMP pages to a page where separate
> software can write vacation files, .procmailrc, and so on.

Or if they have it set to connect to a set of imap servers that all support
the function in some way they can code... :)

> IMP need
> only provide a simple way to stick those links into its menu.  It
> could appear to users to be part of the same web mail service, but
> from a software perspective it's separate.

And IMP does indeed provide this mechanism...

> If an IMP installation is viewed as simply a frontend for one mail
> host, maybe the ideal software would be something else that runs
> on the mail host and just provides an interface directly between
> an authenticated https session and the mail files.
>
> Joseph Brennan                           postmaster@columbia.edu
> Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)

Eric Jon Rostetter
The Department of Physics
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, Texas 78712-1081