handling semicolon separated addresses

Liam Hoekenga liamr@umich.edu
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 15:44:06 -0400 (EDT)

We're having a problem where IMP's kinda choking on messages that have
addresses separated by semi-colons.

For example... if i have a message with this header in my inbox:

	Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 06:30:00 -0400 (EDT)
	From: Mister Postman <someuser@somedomain.com>
	To: undisclosed-recipients:;undisclosed-recipients:;

For every semi-colon, I'll get this error message:

	Warning: Must use comma to separate addresses:
		 undisclosed-recipients:; (errflg=3) in Unknown on line 0

so... in this case, I'd see the error twice.

It tacks that on to the end of the display of the folder index.  One of
our local sendmail guys says that partially that's due to how sendmail is
configured on our campus, but also that using semi-colons is legal group
syntax.

Any suggestions on getting IMP to handle this a little more gracefully?

thanks
Liam Hoekenga
UM Webmaster Team