[imp] Scaling - how many logins per day are people supporting?

bob.reven@unix1.trinity.ox.ac.uk bob.reven@unix1.trinity.ox.ac.uk
Fri, 03 Aug 2001 06:57:46 +0100 (BST)

Quoting Michael Bull <mbull@uoguelph.ca>:
> We've had IMP running for some time now, and we're watching how we might
> need to scale in the future.  Currently, we've got it running on a twin
> CPU  Sun E250 with 2GB of RAM, with an IMAP server on a separate message.
> It's supporting about 3000 logins/day (I just grep -c 'd the log for the
> current day and the word "success" to get that).   How many logins a day are
> other  people supporting, and on what hardware?

at Oxford University they use a home grown perl based web interface to their
IMAP servers called WING
     http://users.ox.ac.uk/~mbeattie/wing

here is a recent message concerning load from one of the admins:
One of Herald's WING servers (picked at random) is doing about 5000
logins a day. It's a Pentium II 300MHz with 512MB RAM. This is outside
term time. Load is much heavier during term. At the moment we're
seeing about 100 concurrent logins per WING server. This peaks at 300+
during term time. The IMAP servers are currently seeing up to 300
concurrent logins each.

yours,

bob reven