[imp] Slowness with big mailboxes

Joseph Brennan brennan@columbia.edu
Mon, 01 Oct 2001 09:16:27 -0400

--On Saturday, September 29, 2001 16:20 +0100 Peter Farrow <PeterF@3d-computers.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm noticing that when I use IMP to connect to a mailbox with quite a few
> messages, performance drops considerably (can take up to a minute to open
> the
> mailbox each time.  Cleaning out the mail so that there's only a handful
> speeds
> things right up.  I'm using IMAP, and I experience the same thing when
> connecting to a local mailserver or a remote mailserver....

Why does this surprise you?  It always takes longer to parse a larger
mailbox.  This is true for any IMAP client and is not special to IMP.

The only thing special to IMP is that it has to open a new IMAP session
every time you click to a new page, so any slowness the IMAP server
may have in opening files is magnified.  Some file servers will
temporarily cache recently accessed files for some minutes, which is a
blessing with IMP's inefficient IMAP usage.

I wonder if IMP should download the mailbox to local temp space, and
then read from the local copy.  IMP could store changes and connect to
the IMAP server every configurable N minutes to synch the changes,
similar to PC clients' offline mode.  IMP would look faster to users.

Joseph Brennan                           postmaster@columbia.edu
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)