[imp] Login (horde auth = 'imp') always returns "Login failed for some reason..."

David Peoples davidp@touringcyclist.com
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:28:02 -0600

Jim,

I'd try going back to file-based session storage, just to remove one
complication. It's easy enough to do, at least with PHP 4.0.6:

Here is the relevant section of my Apache httpd.conf file. The important lines
are the session.save_handler line and the session.save_path line:

  <VirtualHost 192.168.3.60>
  ServerAdmin davidp@touringcyclist.com
  Document /usr/local/apache/imp3
  ServerName horde.tc.local
  DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.php3
  AddType application/x-httpd-php  .php
  Alias /horde/ "/usr/local/apache/imp3/horde/"
  php_value auto_prepend_file
/usr/local/apache/imp3/horde/config/prepend.inc.php
  php_admin_value session.save_handler 'files'
  php_value session.save_path '/usr/local/apache/php4/var'
  </VirtualHost>

The 'prepend.inc.php' code used to contain the MySQL session initialization
stuff. Now it just contains this:

  <?
    ini_set("session.save_handler", "files");
  ?>

This is belt-and-suspenders stuff. I think you need only the settings in the
httpd.conf file, and that call to ini_set() is unnecessary.

As to debugging your problem, have fun! I'm sure the Horde/IMP login process is
no more complicated than it needs to be, but it sure made my head swim trying to
follow it. When I was tracking down my problem, the first obvious problem was
_after_ the initial login (horde/imp/login.php I think) when the server would
try to load horde/imp/mailbox.php. In this page is a call to setupSession()
(which is defined in horde/imp/lib/IMP.php). That function is supposed to
restore the saved session variables, and always failed. Failure caused a loop
back to the horde/imp/login.php page.

You'll have to insert a bunch of strategic error_log() calls and just see what
happens. Either I'm doing something wrong, or Horde/IMP even with the reporting
turned up to DEBUG puts out very little logging info on its own.

David

---
David Peoples
The Touring Cyclist, 11816 St. Charles Rock Road, Bridgeton, MO 63044
tel: 314-739-4648  fax: 314-739-4972
davidp@touringcyclist.com  http://www.touringcyclist.com