[imp] Patch for PHP --with-imap-ssl

Fritz Zaucker zaucker@ee.ethz.ch
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 11:38:18 +0200 (MEST)

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Eric Rostetter wrote:

> Quoting Fritz Zaucker <zaucker@ee.ethz.ch>:
>
> > Apparently PHP from version 4.1.something tries to connect to the IMAP
> > server over SSL if the protocol string is set to 'imap' and not only if set
> > to 'imap/ssl'. PHP can be forced to use imap without ssl by specifying
> > 'imap/notls' as protocol.
>
> This depends on the implementation of php, or more exactly on the c-client
> implemented in the php, and on the server being connected to.

It can't really depend on the server being connected to, I believe.
php/c-client doesn't know beforehand what the server being connected is or
does. If php/c-client tries imap/ssl then the ssl-connection is done first
and because it never succeeds it won't be able to get any further info from
the server.

> In other words, the same php may act differently to different servers,

See above.

> and the version of php itself is meaningless for this issue without
> knowing the version of c-client used in it and how it acts.

The c-client I used is the current stable one from UW-imap (version 2001a).

> It would be good to update the the docs to address this issue, but I
> don't think we need to change the setup personally.

As long as imap/notls works with non-ssl imapd servers (and as Jan said he
tried it, as did I) this would be a save option.

Cheers,
Fritz

--
Dr. Fritz Zaucker, Head IT Support Group
Department of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering