[imp] PEAR not found problem

Eric S. Johansson esj@harvee.billerica.ma.us
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:37:11 -0400

thanks for the reply.  Yes, when I installed horde/imp I did install
pear-4.1.0.tar.gz.  Unfortunately, the upgrade process wiped it out.  But
something you just said gave me the clue I needed.  I was tired when I was
restoring it and I restored to the wrong directory.  Because the install
process overwrites existing directories, I didn't see the mistake until
this morning.

A suggestion to the developers for future releases.  If you are going to
overwrite something that is provided by the vendor, DON'T.  It's a great
source of errors.  Instead, put the new version somewhere else and change
some path variable in the configuration to refer to the new version in
preference to the default version.  It's significantly less error prone.

Jon, thanks again for the help and the clue to my own mistake.

---eric