[imp] RFC822/PEAR problem ?

Marc Villegas Marc.Villegas@utc.fr
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 18:14:34 +0200

Lars Anderson wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 16:43:06, Marc Villegas wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have also seen this problem with postfix, and I found out the following:
>
> If I send email to an invalid adresse, eg.
>
>   example@example.com.
>
> Ie. with a trailing dot.
>
> IMP (via Mail.php and RFC822.php from PEAR) shortens this adress to <@>
>
> This may lead to unwanted actions, For example in postfix, if you do not
> specify  reject_non_fqdn_recipient postfix will accept the mail but see
> it as an empty adress and forward the mail to postmaster.

That's it.
When you send an email to a recipient address containing one or several
8 bits characters, IMP (via Mail.php and RFC822.php from PEAR) shortens
this address to '<@>', and postfix forwards it to postmaster without
notifying the sender.

You must add the 'reject_non_fqdn_recipient' to the
'smtpd_recipient_restrictions' postfix parameter to reject the badly
RFC822 formed email. Then, the email client (IMP 3.0) will display an
error message.
Additionaly, if you have your MUA (IMP 3.0) and your MTA (postfix) on
the same host, you must configure the following Horde 2.0 parameters
(located in the 'config/horde.php' file) :

$conf['mailer']['type'] = 'smtp';
$conf['mailer']['params'] = array('host' => 'localhost');

Many thanks to all the contributors of this list.
Regards.

--
 Marc Villegas                           _/     _/_/_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/
 Universite de Technologie de Compiegne _/     _/    _/    _/