[imp] Severe Performance Issue on High-End System

Robert Zrim project@fastrun.at
Wed, 1 May 2002 20:46:02 +0200

Hi All,

I have an environment set up with Horde 2.0, IMP 3.1 and Turba as well as
Kronolith in their latest versions.
I am using UW Imap and Mysql on a Linux platform. (All on the same machine).

I run into trouble as soon as my users access the system,
we have 5.000 active users, but that should not be the issue as most
of them dont use IMP, but download their mails to a pop client.

I have limited IMP to a maximum of 5 (!) simultaneous users, which is
ridiculos,
still - As soon as some guys log in, server load (average) jumps from 0.05
to above 20.00 and
soon after the machine locks up. I see that there a quite a few mysql
instances running,
could that be it ?

Im confused because my machine is a IBM netfinity multiproc monster and
usually performs
VERY well.

Do you have any tested load parameters to share ?

Thanks,

Robert