[imp] Bugs or configuration errors? (RFC 822 linebreaks.

Michael M Slusarz slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 00:12:01 -0600

Quoting Chris Hastie <lists@oak-wood.co.uk>:

| 3)  Already mentioned this morning (well it's morning here) - base64
|     encoded attachments to messages composed in IMP are reported by my
|     main MUA (Turnpike) to have invalid characters in the Base64. This
|     seems to apply to messages that actually get sent out via postfix.
|     Copies saved by IMP using the IMAP APPEND command are fine. A quick
|     comparison suggests a problem with line endings, but I'll have to
|     think of something more elaborate to be sure the OS on the receiving
|     machine isn't messing about with them.

Here is a (somewhat related) thread on this subject:
http://www.sumthin.nu/archives/qmail/Mar_2002/msg00029.html

As near as I can tell, this is the situation: despite what it says in the
thread, headers should be sent with the <CR><LF> break.  Reading RFC 822,
it seems to want to have <CR><LF> at the end of every line also.  This
message is sent with <CR><LF> through the Postfix MTA - it _should_ strip
off the <CR> and leave only the <LF>.  This is good.

However, the sendmail php library in PEAR doesn't send <CR><LF>, it sends
only <LF>.  This is bad, I think, and nothing that (I) personally can
change.  Additionally, postfix does not seem to do a <CR><LF> -> <LF>
conversion for local message delivery - see
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2000-02/0398.html

Also, there is mention that SMTP delivery is different from local MTA
delivery.

This is a bit of a hornet's nest and will take some time to figure out.
Additional help/direction/guiding hand would be much appreciated.

BTW:  Current CVS head (and RELENG_3) breaks everything exclusively with
<LF>.

michael

Michael Slusarz [slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu]
The University of Colorado at Boulder