[imp] Is it possible to filter out specific mime type attachements

Michael M Slusarz slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:49:10 -0600

Quoting "Aero Controls, Inc." <mis2@aerocontrols.com>:

| We have installed Imp 3.1 and we would like to disable the ability
| for a user to download specific mime type attachements (ie, exe's,
| zips, scr, etc) you know those that have the capacity to contain
| malicious code.
|
| In the webmasterworld.com forum I started a discussion about this and
| there was input back that in version 2.1 there was a mime.php file
| that you could ammend to disable the the download. But in this
| current version I do not seem to be able to locate the section that
| would allow us to do such a thing. Could some one point me in the
| right direction.

There is no way to selectively disable downloads for specific MIME types.
All that is allowed is to disable viewing for a specific MIME type.

In any case, this is not something that IMP should really be doing anyway -
you should have a separate mail filtering program (e.g. mimedefang or
something similar) that 'rips' these unwanted MIME types out before it even
reaches the user's mail queue.

michael

Michael Slusarz [slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu]
The University of Colorado at Boulder