[imp] Problem with sent-mail translation

Jeff Tucker jefft@wciatl.com
Mon, 02 Sep 2002 00:21:23 -0400

Hello,

I have a user who has the Chinese translation selected. I'm running
IMP-CVS, a pretty recent version.

Today, her sent-mail folder was renamed to something which looks like this
when I type ls:
.sent-mail-\ 8\324\302-2002/

Another way of looking at it is apparently:
.sent-mail-\ 8ÔÂ-2002/

But I don't know what that looks like when it comes across in email.

Anyway, when she logs in, she now gets the error message:
The folder "{localhost:143/imap}INBOX.sent-mail- 8?-2002" contains illegal
characters in its name. It may cause problems. Please see your system
administrator."

So, I'm wondering. I imagine that the translation for for Chinese contains
a translation of the word "August" (or maybe "aug"). However, it appears to
translate it into something which then is illegal in IMAP. Should this be
changed? Is there a reasonable way of handling this?

By the way, I belive a couple Russian users had the same problem a month or
two ago. They figured out that they could rename the sent mail to something
else and fix the problem. Sorry, I don't have an exact error message for
that one, but I think it was similar.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

--