[imp] frames patch

Ryan Gallagher ryan@studiesabroad.com
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 12:20:00 -0600

Quoting eculp@encontacto.net:

> Quoting Ryan Gallagher <ryan@studiesabroad.com>:
>
>  | Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>:
>  | > Quoting Ryan Gallagher <ryan@studiesabroad.com>:
>  | >
>  | > > I would 3rd it, based purely on the fact that we simply cannot get
> our
>  | > > Outlook-office-drones to accept web-based email without a folder
> view
>  | > > being part of the main workspace.
>  | > >
>  | > > We will be using the patch and maintaining diffs if we have to,
> but
>  | > we'd
>  | > > much rather see it supported along with the releases.
>  | >
>  | > I had two main problems with it. One is that it's a pretty
> significant
>  | > change in the way the UI works, and could make writing a user guide
>  | > significant headache - and very confusing for users. The other is
> that
>  | > the
>  | > code becomes _really_ ugly, since you're checking a preference all
> over
>  | > the
>  | > place. And a lot of the behavior was inconsistent and things loaded
> in
>  | > funny
>  | > places, etc. - problems which will only crop up again and again as
>  | > functionality changes, because of the constant if () checks.
>  | >
>  | > If someone submitted a patch to generate the folder tree on the
> left
>  | > _without_ using frames, I might be much more inclined to look at
> it.
>  | I don't know, we've found that our users are MORE confused by a LACK
> of a
>  | folders frame.  Practically every other non web based mail client uses
> that
>  | UI design and it is a very familiar one to them.
>  | I'd also like to note that the 'patch' when we first tried it appeared
> to be
>  | very _incomplete_ and we did alot of _fixing_ before it started to
> produce
>  | reliable behavior.  We have only messed with it in a devel
> implementation,
>  | we haven't unleashed it on our users yet.  Most of the issues fixed
> were
>  | simply targeting issues.
>
> Ryan,
>
> Would an iframe in an extra <td> somwhere in templates/mailbox with
> the src being imp/folders.php work?  I've been tempted to try it but
> haven't because afaik it isn't compatible with older browsers.  I think
> it is ie 5.5 and netscape 6 or higher.  I've used it a few times for
> quick fixes to other problems.

iframes or layers might be an interesting 'alternate' approach or maybe yet
another patch option.  However I think due to the lack of browser support
for these features they probably would get ruled out as being acceptable for
a default(ish) behavior.

Personally we will be dealing with many students at university labs (varying
universities) and don't think that we can rely on the browser being fully up
to date and supporting them.

--
Ryan T. Gallagher
ryan@studiesabroad.com