[imp] PATCH: compose.php delocalization

Sun Nov 10 03:59:39 2002

Quoting Steve Stavropoulos <steve@math.upatras.gr>:

>  This is a small patch that removes some localization from
> imp/compose.php in the sake of better communication between people with
> different languages.

And for worse communication between people who all speak the same (other
than English) language.

>  Email is about communication between people. People from every corner
> of the world, people with different languages.

That may be how you see it, but a lot of people use email only within
a single group which all speak the same language.  So your patch forces
them to use a non-native language for no reason.

> The one language that is
> chosen to be the one language that everyone should speak is english, so
> when an imp user wants to sent an email we _shouldn't_ assume that he
> wants to sent it in the language that he has chosen for the imp
> interface.

If that is the case (which it isn't) you better start practicing your
English, because the above is riddled with spelling and grammar mistakes,
verb tense issue, and is a really long!

And which English should we use?  US English?  British (Queen's English)?
Canadian English?  Or some others?

> For example Jan Schneider's replies start with a line like
> this:
>
> Zitat von Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>:
>
> How many people in here know what "Zitat von" means? I don't.

I do.  Maybe you should learn?  Or maybe you should not generalize your
feelings for a world-wide mailing list (this one) to *all* email sent
anywhere by anyone for any reason?

Not all email is international.  Some never leaves a company for example
(internal use only), some may be departmental in a department where the
native language is not English.

> In general
> I think that ALL the lines that get put in an email by imp when a user
> chooses to compose a mail should be in english, so they can be
> understood by all.

Or not understood by all, if not everyone speaks/understands English.

>  Localization is a very good thing, but there are limits!

Yes, but this is not one.

For the record: I agree, this mailing list is supposed to be an English
only list (when/if possible) but that doesn't mean all email sent by
IMP is meant to be English only, or even partly in English.

>  And this is the patch:

I really hope this does NOT get included, or is included only as a
configuration option or as a preference.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!