[imp] Re: IMP/Ingo working together... someday... I hope

Adam Yearout adam at cbnn.net
Thu Apr 3 21:11:46 PST 2003

Eric Rostetter wrote (in reply to Michael M Slusarz):
>> As you probably noticed, I've committed several items to ingo in
 >> preparation of tying it in with IMP to become the exclusive filter
 >> interface for IMP.
>
> Exclusive, no.  Default, fine.  We should be able to plugin any
> number of modules to do this besides ingo (even if ingo is the only
 > one right now).

I agree.  In particular I don't want to see the SAM blacklist/whitelist
hooks for IMP become broken because of this.  It's been a lifesaver in
regards to user administration of SpamAssassin at my ISP site.  What I
_would_ like to see is using Ingo to handle basic mail filtering on
header and content information, and still have it be able to operate
with SAM as the optional blacklist/whitelist manager.  Basically, make
sure that the blacklist/whitelist features remain as separate registry
hooks, with the option of integrating them through Ingo at the site
administrator's discretion.

 >> There are a few issues, however.  The most important is since we
 >> may now be using ingo without a Sieve server (this is my setup, for
 >> example), there needs to be a way to convert the sieve script into
 >> something that can be handled by a basic IMAP server using simple
 >> IMAP commands

This sounds good for IMAP connections, but one thought came to mind.  I
don't have this problem at my site, but don't forget IMP's ability to
discern if someone is using a POP3 connection and reduce the filter
capabilities accordingly (delete messages only).  Some locations may be
upset if this were to just disappear, or become broken because Ingo kept
trying to throw unsupported IMAP commands at a POP3 server.

>> i'll stop babbling now.  I hope I'm not breaking anything.  Until I
 >> get to understand ingo more, I will try to commit in small chunks to
 >> increase peer review and ease of fixing if i go awry :)

Personally, I'd love to see mail filtering move into it's own interface
via Ingo.  Ingo has an excellent UI, and as long as it becomes
customizable in regards to handling both sieve and non-sieve
installations, I'm all for it.

--

Adam Yearout
adam at cbnn.net