[imp] horde/imp migration problems, cpu bound on solaris

Vasilios Hoffman vhoffman01 at wesleyan.edu
Thu Apr 10 17:42:57 PDT 2003

nope, it's a hashed directory structure for session_data, for example:

/usr/local/imp3.2/cache/session_data/3/9/sess_394bd2d80872323e03e3dd770974e5da

is one session file.  too many files in one directory slows down some
system calls (walking the structure in the inode becomes too expensive I
suppose).  we hash our /var/mail structure too, for what it's worth.
depending on the file system, driver, and system calls being made it may
gain you much or little.  At the least it should scale a bit better.

I don't trust solaris and ufs personally, they're stable but old-school.
I'm sure linux and something like reiserfs wouldn't have as drastic
penalties :)

-V