[imp] Help with attachments

Roger B.A. Klorese rogerk at queernet.org
Mon Jun 9 11:36:52 PDT 2003

I was hoping for a middle ground, like a "dependent debugger."  :)

> > I expected that at least smoke-test level testing would be
> performed
> > beforer exposing it to the public.
>
> It is the developement code.  It is also exposed to the
> public.  This is opensource, so all code is exposed to the
> public.  There is no testing before exposing it, it is all
> always exposed to everyone.

Don't assume all open source projects work exactly that way.

Some projects, for instance, use a passworded live CVS and smoke-test before
they push to a public CVS or to snapshots.

> > Which takes
> > us back to the first case... where I'd expect debugging
> instructions
> > of the form "add the following after line xyz of file abc"
> instead of
> > "dump it to output."
>
> Well, if your original message I was replying to said "I
> don't know php" and "I'm not a programmer" than I probably
> would have waited to answer until I could provide you with
> detailed instructions.  But since you were running HEAD and
> didn't state otherwise, I assumed that you did know how to
> program and hopefully did know php or could find out enough
> about it to debug the problem.  And since you seemed to want
> an immediate answer, I didn't think you wanted me to wait a
> day or so to research the answer for you.

Got it, thanks.  I'll be more explicit in the future.

> I can guarantee you that if any of the developers could
> reproduce your problem it would be fixed asap.

I have great faith in that.

And it turns out that at this moment, since Turba 1.2 is released, I believe
my problems are best addressed by backing down to the current releases.

However, with your debugging guidance, I'll also test the problem in
parallel to determine if it will expose an actual problem -- or, selfishly,
if it can be killed now so it doesn't come back and bite me when you do
release.