[imp] Strange VFS issue and LOG_DEBUG segfaults

Michael Yingbull mbull at uoguelph.ca
Wed Sep 1 14:19:53 PDT 2004

I'm looking to enable VFS to improve the handling of attachments in a
clustered environment - I've configured the vfs section of horde.php
file as follows:

------
// If a VFS (virtual filesystem) backend is required, which one should
// we use? Options are 'file' and 'sql'.
$conf['vfs']['type'] = 'sql';

// What configuration parameters should be set for the VFS system? For
// the 'file' driver, the only parameter is 'vfsroot' - where on the
// real filesystem should Horde use as root of the virtual
// filesystem. For the 'sql' driver, see the examples for the 'prefs'
// section, above.
//$conf['vfs']['params']['vfsroot'] = '/tmp';
$conf['vfs']['params'] = array ();
$conf['vfs']['params']['phptype'] = 'mysql';
$conf['vfs']['params']['hostspec'] = '(sql server name here)';
$conf['vfs']['params']['protocol'] = 'tcp';
$conf['vfs']['params']['username'] = '(username here)';
$conf['vfs']['params']['password'] = '(password here)'';
$conf['vfs']['params']['database'] = 'webmail_data';
$conf['vfs']['params']['table'] = 'webmail_vfs';
------

(the ()'d info was changed for the actual info, of course - login to
the server doesn't appear to be the issue).

and the relevant line in conf.php in imp/config as follows:
-----
$conf['compose']['use_vfs'] = true;
 ------

With the following table (webmail_vfs)  in the database (webmail_data):

Field			Type			Null		Key		Default	Extra
vfs_id		bigint(20)				PRI		0
vfs_type		smallint(6)					0
vfs_path		varchar(255)			MUL
vfs_name		varchar(255)			MUL
vfs_modified	bigint(20)						0
vfs_owner	varchar(255)
vfs_data		longblob		YES				NULL

For some unknown reason, when I turn LOG_DEBUG on Apache segfaults.
However, when I run ethereal on a test session, I can the following for
the MySQL protocol outbound from the webmail server:

Request Command: Init Database : webmail_data
Request Command: SELECT vfs_data FROM webmail_vfs WHERE vfs_path =
'.horde/imp/attachments' AND vfs_name='phpAHYrsU'

as well as a later...

Request Command: Init Database : webmail_data
Request Command: Query : DELETE FROM webmail_vfs WHERE vfs_type = 1 AND
vfs_path = '.horde/imp/attachments' AND vfs_name = 'phpAHYrsU'

The webmail database user login has full access to any tables in the
webmail database.

In this session, I logged in, composed a message with an attachment,
and then sent the message.   I would have thought I should see an
INSERT command (?), but I saw no such query.

Any further troubleshooting advice would be appreciated.

I'm using the latest stable (IMP 3) code on a Redhat Enterprise Linux
3.0 machine.

--
Michael Yingbull