[imp] identities

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Thu May 18 01:11:31 PDT 2006

On 15.05.06 03:09, Chris H. wrote:
> Indeed. What you say is true. However, I found that if auth is done
> (handled)
> by your IMAP server (UW-IMAP in my case) the ~/.mail_aliases located in the
> users ~/ (home) directory are expanded and they appear(ed) in the dropdown
> in the personal preferences (identity) section. Granted, all of this depends
> on what "security" model you (as administrator) choose to impliment within
> Horde/ IMP. But I can't see where one could not "invent" a group within
> Horde/ IMP and assign certian properties that would accomplish what you
> are hoping to achive using the (some) BD model. There are *so* many
> possibilities permitted in combination with Horde/ IMP and MySQL within
> the options permitted in the administration panel of Horde, and IMP.
> It should be _nearly_ trivial.

Pardon, who expands ~/.mail_aliases? The imap server or horde/imp?

I've searched both for string "mail_aliases", but found nothing. Maybe it's
FreeBSD(or whatever)-specific function that uses external library to get the
list of mail addresses from the ~/.mail_aliases file...

Also, looking at the dot.mail_aliases file, this seems to be kinda personal
addressbook of users used to send mail TO OTHER users. It is not list of
their own addresses. We wanted to choose the From: address from predefined
by admin, not choose To:/Cc: address.

However, either option is not applicable by us. Our users are virtual, do
not have home directories nor ~/.mail_aliases file, and we use courier so I
doubt anyone else than courierd does know what addresses belong to users.

Micro$oft random number generator: 0, 0, 0, 4.33e+67, 0, 0, 0...