[imp] auto_expand option gone with no replacement?

Paul A Sand pas at unh.edu
Thu May 28 14:33:14 UTC 2009

Hi --

We recently implemented a long-overdue upgrade of Horde/Imp/Etc. to the
latest versions. Our old Imp version was creaky: 4.1.6.

This went pretty well, but one user has a big addressbook, and doesn't
like the large popup list she gets when she starts typing in the To:
field of a compose window.

We have 'localsql' and 'localldap' Turba sources set up (I think)
in a pretty standard way.

As near as I can tell, back in the old version, there was an Imp
'auto_expand' preference that allowed a user to turn off this behavior.
>From docs/UPGRADING, it appears it was dropped in 4.2.

Am I missing something, or is there now no way for a user to turn off the
auto expansion? (I suggested changing the 'search_sources' preference
in the Options, but even moving both addressbooks from the 'selected'
side to the 'available' side still causes the auto-expand for addresses
in the user addressbook.)

If that's so, is there anything I can suggest to her, besides:

   "type faster"
   "type smarter" (like last name first, maybe?)
   "delete addresses"

... because I tried those suggestions already, and she wasn't impressed.

--
-- Paul A. Sand                 | Don't sweat the petty things,
-- University of New Hampshire  | and don't pet the sweaty things.