[imp] Improving IMP message load times

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Wed Dec 14 21:22:30 UTC 2011

Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:

> Quite frankly, Gmail is a bad benchmark/ideal to achieve.  They have a
> completely different design goal

They have a different design. The way to really speed up is to cut out
the IMAP client-server stuff completely. Webmail should just be a web
interface to the mail server. I think Gmail is closer to that model.
Messages are like password-protected web pages. The web server just
fetches them. I am oversimplifying of course but that's the concept.

> And on my system at least, IMP is much faster than native thunderbird.

That surprises me.

Joseph Brennan
Lead Email Systems Engineer