[imp] Irritating remember-selection-feature in IMP 6

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Aug 31 11:31:55 UTC 2012

Hi,

is this only me, or this new feature that remembers the selection
state of a mailbox rather irritating than helpful? I may be completely
off, that's why I'm asking here, where potentially more end user
feedback is expected than on the development list.

I don't recall such behavior from any other application that I use.
Granted, I don't use many desktop applications anymore, but still.

If I go to another mailbox, I'm done with the current mailbox, and
vice versa, so I rather expect the first mailbox in a clean state when
I return from the second mailbox. This expectation might be different
if we had mailboxes opened in tabs, which we don't.

Though this could be considered a bug that needs fixing, I find it
especially annoying in a common use case of mine: when I start reading
through my daily mail, going through all the folders that my mail is
sorted into, I sometimes open a mail that's too long to be read right
now. Then I reset the seen flag before I go to another folder. If I go
back, that message is now still selected, marking it as seen again.

Again, this could be just my personal preference, and others might
welcome this new feature, so I'm looking for some feedback.

Jan.

--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project