[imp] Signature

azurIt azurit at pobox.sk
Mon Jan 21 19:57:31 UTC 2013

> Od: "Michael M Slusarz" <slusarz at horde.org>
> Komu: <imp at lists.horde.org>
> Dátum: 21.01.2013 20:13
> Predmet: Re: [imp] Signature
>
>Quoting Luis Felipe Marzagao <lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com>:
>
>> I also think wrinting a msg and not seeing what will be the final
>> text is really confusing and nonintuitive, mainly for real
>> life/regular users, but since this is open source software, at least
>> you can alter the code. Imagine if it were proprietary/closed
>> software.
>
>Several of you have raised this "argument".  And it is completely bogus.
>
>NO MUA THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN "GUARANTEES" THAT WHAT YOU "SEE" IN THE
>COMPOSE WINDOW IS ACTUALLY WHAT IS SENT OUT.  MUA's add all sorts of
>things to outgoing messages that users have no control of.  MUA's
>should be able to change/fix formatting as necessary to fix user
>errors.  MUA's can convert HTML text to plain text, or vice versa, or
>add different representations of the data (which IMP allows).  An
>admin can add a trailer to every message which cannot be altered by
>the user and will never be seen by the user (which IMP allows).
>
>The simple fact with signatures IS THAT THE **USER** IS THE ONE THAT
>ADDED THE SIGNATURE DATA IN THE FIRST PLACE.  This is not the case of
>someone "altering" a message or "adding" data without the user's
>consent.  For a signature to be added to a message, the user
>necessarily needed to create the data at one point.  Nothing is being
>"added" or "altered" to the message that the user has not already
>tacitly approved.

Comparing signature to the server trailer is completely wrong - these are two different things which share nothing.

Here are few arguments for signature:
1.) Some users wants to change the place of signature - it cannot be done in current implementation.
2.) Current implementation makes feeling that signatures are not working at all - i had to explain new signature behavior to several 10s of our customeres since the upgrade to IMP6 (start of the month).

I simply can't think more arguments because the main one is very simple and was immediately refused - i just WANT to see my signature while writing the message. Are all features here only because they were supported by logical arguments?

I would also like to read reasons why signatures were so dramatically altered - any links?

I don't understand why you are ignoring lots of your users who are trying to tell you that this was a bad step. It is true, that this software is yours and you can do whatever you want. It is true, that Horde would never exists without you. But it is also true, that Horde would never exists also without us - the users. We are simply not stupid zomies who only bothers you. WE are the Horde. I'm NOT requesting anything from you here, i'm only asking you to reconsider this decision.

azur