[imp] preview of attached files in imp

Gary witscher at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 22:53:57 UTC 2013

Quoting cjdl01 <cjdl01 at brokensolstice.com>:

>> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> Exactly what the error message implies: IMP is unable to determine
>>> the content-type of the attachment so there is no way the
>>> appropriate viewer can be used.  This often happens because
>>> browsers won't report a content-type when attaching a file from
>>> the local system, so IMP is forced to try to auto-detect the
>>> contents (which does not work 100% of the time).
>>>
>>> michael
>>

>> Looks like I'm having this issue too.  All attachments have 100%
>> failure.  Is there anything we can do here Michael, to help imp
>> know what the attachment is?  I never had this issue in imp5, it
>> has only cropped up since the upgrade.  It occurs in Firefox,
>> Chrome, Internet explorer, Konqueror, Opera and Safari (on windows
>> and linux), so whatever the browser is supposed to be doing to
>> define the mime-type, none of them are doing it.  Is their some
>> package in pear or horde (or whatever) that horde uses to determine
>> the the content type? Maybe it needs reinstalling or tweaking...
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -Chris
>
> Okay... I have been poking around with this some more.  I noticed
> that my path to the magic db is set to /usr/share/misc/magic.  This
> is a directory on my Horde server, so it is valid in that sense.
> However, the directory it points to is empty.  I do not know if that
> is normal or not.  I also looked at /etc/magic, which is a file.
> However, aside from a couple innocuous comments, the file is empty.
> I likewise do not know if this is normal or not.
>
> But, despite this, magic seems to work as expected from the shell.
> It accurately guesses the file type of any file I throw at it.  But
> if I use the PHP shell in horde (with a context of either Horde or
> IMP), I get nothing, even after verifying that the file does exit,
> and that the mime type is correctly ascertained on the command line
> using the 'file' command.
>
> <?php
> require_once 'MIME/Type.php';
>
> $filename = '/home/me/MyDocs/file.ext';
> echo MIME_Type::autoDetect($filename);
> ?>
>
> Returns Nothing.

On my ubuntu system the magic file is /usr/share/file/magic.mgc, this
is a compiled binary magic file. There is a link pointing to it at
/usr/share/misc/magic.mgc

I'm using the latest imp and, although my attachment requirements are
limited to image files, I haven't had any issues. Are you sure you
have all the required php modules installed? Just a thought.