[imp] "delete messages marked as 'deleted' " menu entry

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Mar 21 18:37:05 UTC 2013

Quoting "Jens-U. Mozdzen" <jmozdzen at nde.ag>:

> currently I'm using latest IMP from PEAR. For my account, I've set
> the "delete" preference to "move messages to the trash folder".
>
> Accessing a shared email folder, I see plenty of messages marked as
> "deleted", as other users have different "delete" preferences,
> obviously at least one having it set to "mark as deleted".
>
> I would like to finally delete all messages marked as "deleted", but
> see no option in the corresponding drop-down menu. I assume that
> this option is currently only available when I've configured "mark
> as deleted" in my personal preferences.

No, you won't.   If you are using a trash mailbox, you will ALWAYS see
messages marked as deleted in your mailbox.  This is expected and the
only correct way of displaying.  There was a either a detailed mail
message or comment in a bug report awhile back that went into the
details as to why this has to be.

It's pretty much irrelevant though, since it's simple enough to filter
by Deleted message, select all, and then click delete.

> Would it be acceptable to change the algorithm to either *always*
> display that option (independant from the personal delete option -
> there still may be old "marked as delete" messages when changing
> that preference, too) or even make its appearance dependable on the
> actual existence of such messages in the currently displayed folder?

The former: no.  The latter: absolutely not.  Besides what is
explained above, this would be a big performance hit for little/no gain.

michael