[imp] [horde] Import of mbox failes

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu May 22 17:32:58 UTC 2014

Quoting Edward Burr <egburr at burr.cc>:

> Quoting ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>:
>>
>> Please suggest a way to import large mailboxes for Cyrus IMAP.
>
> What I did when converting from a server that used mbox to my
> current server was to use imapsync to transfer the mail over, one
> user at a time, but I only had a dozen or so users to transfer. See
> http://imapsync.lamiral.info/

In general, using IMAP APPEND is not the best option for importing
large mailboxes (it was not designed for this purposes).  It will
work, but will take 1) a long time, 2) doesn't allow you to control
the "strictness" of input - some IMAP servers will reject malformed
messages, which may not be what you want - and 3) may block access to
other clients trying to connect to that mailbox, a problem if it is
going to take 5 minutes to import a mailbox.

 From the IMP perspective, combine these limitations with limitations
on 1) POST data limits, 2) PHP memory limits, and 3) PHP max execution
time limits and you can see the issue with (any) web-based mailbox
importation.

michael