[imp] Imp Performance Problem

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Sun Mar 29 12:10:45 UTC 2015

Citeren Registration <registration at portabile.net>:

> Dear Imp users and developers,
>
> my problem is as follows:
> - Login to Horde takes 3 seconds.
> seconds for one with only a few messages in it.
> - Top shows 97% CPU from php5-fpm, 3% from imap.

That means that performance problems are probably in php. Do you use
an php opcode cache / accelerator? If so, which one?

> - When messages are cached, everything gets super fast.
> - The loading times are probably proportional to the amount of
> message headers Imp loads for viewing.
>
> My questions are:
> - Is this normal speed?

It depends. How large is a large IMAP folder? How many folders do you have?

> - If not, how would I systematically search for the problem?
> - I tried xhprof, but I can't get the part where Imp refreshes
> messages captured.
>
> My config:
> - Debian Wheezy, Apache, php5-fpm, Dovecot, imapproxy

Without version numbers, there is no way for us to tell what you're
actually using.

> - Auth using Imp using MySQL/PDO connection via sockets
> - Dovecot using Maildir, PAM disabled, mysql auth only
> - Horde caching enabled

Which cache backend?

> - everything on one host

If everything is on the same host, imapproxy is redundant an may even
hurt performance if you have a modern IMAP server like Dovecot.

> - standard rented server

I wonder what the specifications of a 'standard rented server' are. :-)

> - everything up-to-date

What may be up-to-date on Debian Wheezy may still be seriously out-of-date.