[kronolith] Shared Calendar Thoughts

Derek J. Balling dredd@megacity.org
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:47:53 -0400

On Wednesday, August 7, 2002, at 10:42  AM, Mike Cochrane wrote:

> They way I'm looking at it:
>
> I have an event that i want 5 independent groups to know about....
>
> Shared calendar approach:
>  I add the event 5 times to 5 different shared calendars so all groups
> can see
> it. If a person is subscribed to two of those groups then they will see
> the
> event twice, one from each calendar.

Why not add it to a calendar to which all 5 groups have read-access?

> Shared event approach:
>  I add the event once and give the five different groups read access to
> it.

And every time you add a "common" event, you have to add access rights
to that event for each group who has access, whereas in a
shared-calendar environment, you grant the rights to the calendar
itself, and let all 5 groups have read privileges at creation-time.