[kronolith] Writing standalone reminder system

Karl J. Smalley Karl.Smalley at mail.jci.tju.edu
Fri Dec 12 17:01:38 PST 2003

Probably not the best place to post this, but . . .

I've written a standalone reminder system the e-mails our users when the have
an
alarm set for an event in kronolith.  I am having a problem with recurring
events, as in how do I know if now or now+5 minutes does not contain a
recurring event.

The only way I can think of testing this is starting at the base date of every
recurring event and adding the intervals until I find one in that five minute
range. That could get processor intensive.

I can filter out a lot based on the time (i.e. only deal with records that have
alrms set for this 5 minute range).  I also noticed that Chuck built in the
event_recurdays field which will be helpful for weekly/same weekday of month
type recurring events.

So, is there anyway to filter any more records?
Is there a better method for testing on reciurring events?

I wrote a couple of scheduling programs with recurring events, bit I actually
limited the number of events you could schedule in the future and I actually
created rows for each instance of the event.  It made the queries a lot easier
and also made rescheduling/deleting indivisual instances a lot easier as well.

I know kronolith is using the ICAL standard, and the standard for saving
recurring events is to store the "rule" and not the individual intances of a
recurring event. This also led me to believe there might be a more efficient
way of dealing withn recurring events than what I am contemplating now. Also, I
think I read that kronolith was handling modifications to individual instances
with "exceptions", but i have not looked into that much yet.

Karl J. Smalley
Systems Analyst      			Snail Mail:
                          			Kimmel Cancer Center
Phone:  (215) 503-4602       			Thomas Jefferson University
FAX:    (215) 923-2117              		812 BLSB, 233 S. 10th St.
WWW     http://www.jci.tju.edu/~karl 		Philadelphia, PA 19107
E-Mail: Karl.J.Smalley at mail.jci.tju.edu

"Mate in 3" - The sweetest words I have ever heard myself utter.
*******  This is  a Chess Phrase and nothing more **********