Fwd: Re: [sork] Is /admin part of sork? + patches for samba and apg.

Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:42:34 -0500

Not sure if this ever hit the list.  So here it is again...

----- Forwarded message from ericr -----

Quoting Ilya <mail@krel.org>:

> Hi Eric. I think I am done with forwards, i want to add just one more thing

Glad to hear you are making good progress!

> some kind of sanity check for input of email, do you think its a good idea?

Yes, but nearly impossible to do correctly.

> may be it should be a global function, not sql specific?

Certainly.  If it were to be done, it should be done the same for all
backends.

> also its difficult to decide what is correct input, ie
> one site can have user@domain.com but other can accept just user

Or maybe \user, or domain::user, or domain!user, or protocol%user@domain,
or user%mailer@domain, or... Well, you get the idea...

This isn't as big a deal as it used to be -- most people use a pretty
standard addressing today.  But there are still some people doing older
addressing schemes...

> what do you think?

If someone can come up with a plausible system that works well in most
cases, we can try adding it as a configurable option.  But I'm not sure
it is worth the trouble.  If the user can't be trusted to get the
format right, can they be trusted to spell the parts correctly?

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage

----- End forwarded message -----

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage