[sork] vacation module changes

Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:12:33 -0500

For those having problems with the default "empty file" not working
(and thus having to do a "vacation -i" or similar):

I just put a new version in CVS HEAD that attempts to fix this.  It includes
a directory of database empty files (hash, btree, empty, gdbm, etc).  It
has a configuration option in config/conf.php to set the type of file you
want to use.  This is at least a step in the right direction.

I'm not sure exactly what different vacation programs need/desire for these
files.  Hence, any help debugging would be appreciated.

Best way to approach this is:

* Login as some unix account
* Do a "vacation -i" or whatever you need to do to create the files
* Do a "ls -al .vacation*" and save the output (you may need to email it to me)
* Do a "file .vacation*" and save the output (you may need to email it to me)
* See what the above file command says the format is (should say something
  about hash, btree, GNU dbm, etc).  Note if your system says something other
  than little endian also!

If your machine uses files formats that are not in my small collection, then
feel free to send me the ls/file output from above.  Also feel free to zip/tar
the files and email them to me (you might want to check the contents with
'strings' first as they might contain random data).

Also, for those who like to experiement, there is a perl script in
vacations/scripts/ that can be used to re-generate the files on your
system (might be useful if you have a different endian machine
or something I suppose).  This is the script I used to create the
included files...

Anyway, comments, suggestions, etc. all welcome!

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage