[sork] Passwd backends

Peter Borg (General) general at peter-b.org
Thu Jan 27 14:57:55 PST 2005

Sorry, I should have been clearer; I'd already used the existing preferences
to disable the ability to change the username / select the backend. I'd
mentioned it to demonstrate that therefore my modification for full username
purposes was specific to that situation.

Re: hooks; yup, I'd considered this and even tried it, but having previously
searched around for information on this issue (and a related one, more on
that in a few days), I'd realised that I wasn't alone in this requirement,
and that it's quite a common one.

The thing that led me to suggest this modification, rather than just hacking
my own installation and keeping quiet, was that there is a similar setting
in imp/config/servers.php - 'hordeauth' - which I have used for my
particular installation.

It seemed strange that this setting existed in imp but not in passwd. After
setting it in imp I went looking for it in passwd and was surprised not to
find it. Therefore I thought it might be good to provide a similar setting
in passwd.

I would suggest that it is not an uncommon requirement; I suspect that
Horde/Imp is used as a webmail solution in many virtual hosting environments
where the full user & domain name is required for authentication and
authorisation. The ability to change a password in the webmail environment
is probably incredibly desirable in many such situations, as typically the
user interface for password changes is a separate one provided by the
hosting software, and in my experience is absolutely dreadful!

Peter.