[sync] Blank email addresses become "@localhost"

Deryk Piper deryk-lists at mod-soft.com
Tue May 10 06:55:09 PDT 2005

> Zitat von Deryk Piper <deryk-lists at mod-soft.com>:
>
> >> From what I can discern the information in log.txt looks correct in that
> > the generated vCard information doesn't contain an email address.
>
> Does it contain an empty email field, or no email field at all? And if
> you cut'n'paste the vCard exactly from the log file and try to import
> it manually, does it still work correctly?

Hi Jan,

I did the cut-and-paste from the log.txt file and observed the same behaviour:
email was set to @localhost after being imported.  For reference, the relevant
lines from log.txt are below.

I then completely removed the EMAIL: field from the vCard info and imported
that, and it imported as one would expect with a blank email address.

I then imported the vCard into Outlook, exported it, and noted that Outlook does
not export fields that are empty.

I would tend to think that the problem is in the backend, and not specific to
SyncML; it seems that empty fields are being intepreted, when really they
should just be left alone.  Or perhaps I'm naive and there's more to the story!

DP

log.txt:

input received from client
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<contact>
<FirstName></FirstName>
<LastName></LastName>
<CompanyName>1 2 3 Computer Warehouse Inc</CompanyName>
<BusinessFaxNumber></BusinessFaxNumber>
<Department></Department>
<Email1Address></Email1Address>
<MobileTelephoneNumber></MobileTelephoneNumber>
<OfficeLocation></OfficeLocation>
<PagerNumber></PagerNumber>
<BusinessTelephoneNumber>(905) 451-6769</BusinessTelephoneNumber>
<JobTitle></JobTitle>
<HomeTelephoneNumber></HomeTelephoneNumber>
<Email2Address></Email2Address>
<Spouse></Spouse>
<Email3Address></Email3Address>
<Home2TelephoneNumber></Home2TelephoneNumber>
<HomeFaxNumber></HomeFaxNumber>
<CarTelephoneNumber></CarTelephoneNumber>
<AssistantName></AssistantName>
<AssistantTelephoneNumber></AssistantTelephoneNumber>
<Children></Children>
<Categories>Business</Categories>
<WebPage></WebPage>
<Business2TelephoneNumber></Business2TelephoneNumber>
<RadioTelephoneNumber></RadioTelephoneNumber>
<FileAs>1 2 3 Computer Warehouse Inc</FileAs>
<YomiCompanyName></YomiCompanyName>
<YomiFirstName></YomiFirstName>
<YomiLastName></YomiLastName>
<Title></Title>
<MiddleName></MiddleName>
<Suffix></Suffix>
<HomeAddressStreet></HomeAddressStreet>
<HomeAddressCity></HomeAddressCity>
<HomeAddressState></HomeAddressState>
<HomeAddressPostalCode></HomeAddressPostalCode>
<HomeAddressCountry></HomeAddressCountry>
<OtherAddressStreet></OtherAddressStreet>
<OtherAddressCity></OtherAddressCity>
<OtherAddressPostalCode></OtherAddressPostalCode>
<OtherAddressCountry></OtherAddressCountry>
<BusinessAddressStreet>253 Queen Street East</BusinessAddressStreet>
<BusinessAddressCity>Brampton</BusinessAddressCity>
<BusinessAddressState>ON</BusinessAddressState>
<BusinessAddressPostalCode>L6W 2B8</BusinessAddressPostalCode>
<BusinessAddressCountry>Canada</BusinessAddressCountry>
<Body></Body>
<Birthday></Birthday>
<Anniversary></Anniversary>
</contact>

input converted for server: text/x-vcard
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
FN:1 2 3 Computer Warehouse Inc
NICKNAME:
TEL;TYPE=HOME:
TEL;TYPE=WORK:(905) 451-6769
TEL;TYPE=CELL:
TEL;TYPE=FAX:
EMAIL:
TITLE:
ORG:1 2 3 Computer Warehouse Inc
NOTE:
N:;;;;
ADR;TYPE=HOME:;;;;;;
ADR;TYPE=WORK:;;253 Queen Street East;Brampton;ON;L6W 2B8;Canada
BODY:
END:VCARD