[sync] Sync4j class name and evolution

Karsten Fourmont fourmont at gmx.de
Mon Aug 7 08:07:07 PDT 2006

Hi Todd,

the idea is that the for any SyncML compliant device, no special
SyncML device instance should be necessary. A new device should work
out of the box as long it's in line with the SyncML spec. The DevInf
data is supposed to be sufficient to take care of all device specific
issues.

However with the Funambol sync4j Outlook connector client there have
been (among others) two issues:

1) It doesn't send DevInf information
2) It uses the nonstandard prorietary sif mime types to exchanges data.

That's the reason why the special SyncML_Device_sync4j is in place.

> Changing the deviceID to just "evolution-home-tppytel" leads to the
> device being treated as an unknown, generic SyncML device, in which case
> everything works just fine because it's not being translated to sif.

> While this is fine as a workaround, it obviously doesn't match the
> meaning of the code very well.
Well, it does match the meaning very well ;-) The sync4j device type
is just a hack for the prorietary outlook connector behaviour. If the
evolution implementation doesn't need this hack, all the better.

> substring. But SyncML_Device_sync4j assumes that the client is Outlook
Well, it doesn't assume it's outlook. It assumes that it's the Sync4j
Outlook connector which requires the strange sif data...

Not using the SyncML_Device_sync4j for syncevolution is definitely the
better way.

Cheers,
  Karsten