[sync] Horde-Thunderbird/Lightning sync

Florian Brandner florian at brandner.net
Sun Oct 9 20:46:54 UTC 2011

Hi Paulo

>> Hm, have you tried to use the username instead of the email
>> address? In my case here it is always only the username, which
>> is identical to the name-part (the part before the @) of the
>> local address. I think I never had to use the full email
>> address.
>
> I believe that is indeed one of the variants that I tried without
> success (but I'll try it again, just in case). Perhaps I should
> add that my Horde is on a shared web server (it's actually art of
> a cPanel account). This means that the same server caters to
> domain_one, domain_two, etc; the implication of this is that the
> there may be a "username at domain_one" as well as a
> "username at domain_two" -- thus the need to include the domain
> itself, rather than just the username?...

I am not sure about the inner workings of horde, especially in
combination with your setup. But as far as I remember I never use a
URL with name at domain in it to access my calendars. But I always used
my own server, not any kind of shared system.

If I remember correctly the old kronolith also shows you the required
URL somewhere. I think somewhere in the properties or "share" settings
for your calender.

I always tested the URLs in the Browser. Try to add the URL in the
Browser, after entering your hordes username/password you should get a
download dialog for a ICS file.
Lightning is not loading the remote calendars immediately after adding
them, especially when you added one with an invalid URL it messes up

>> But I also use a newer version of horde and kronolith. Horde
>> 4.0.9 and Kronolith 3.0.10. Both are the most current versions I
>> think.
>
> The versions I have come standard with the current issue of cPanel
> and I have no way of changing that, I'm afraid...

Accessing calendars with Thunderbird/Lightning should also work in
Horde3, at least I have used it with H3 without any problems. For
stuff like syncing with Smartphones you'll need Horde4. And you may
get a better support for the current versions I guess.

> I will certainly look into this. May I ask what sort of system you
>  installed this on?

Nothing fancy, for testing I use a Debian Linux running on a old
Pentium4 System. And another Debian on a rented server.

- --
Mit freundlichem Gruss,
Florian Brandner

WWW:    http://www.brandner.net        eMail:  florian at brandner.net