[turba] upgrade script question using seperate servers and shared db

Mark Greene prgrmr at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 16:17:33 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am upgrading an e-mail server system comprised of
fedora/mysql/qmail/vpopmail and horde.  There are two seperate mail servers
connected to a third server via nfs for mail storage, and the third server
also runs the mysql database.

Server1 is running horde 2.2.3 and turba 1 from the qmail-toaster and server
2 is running horde 3.1.4-2 from the fedora rpm and turba 2.1.4-1 from the
fedora rpm.

My question is if I run the upgrade script with the turba 2.1.4 version to
add the three new columns to the database, will server 1 have problems
accessing users' address books, or will it work seamlessly?  My biggest
concern is that the turba v1's search or some other funtion that runs
against the turba table does something like " select * from ...." and will
return the added columns, and not knowing what they are, will hang the web
session for the user, or worse, that an update will corrupt the table or
crash mysql.

Worst case, I can delay running the upgrade script for turba (and kronolith,
as I am getting similar errors but haven't checked into those yet) until
server1 is upgraded.  The primary objective is to not have any e-mail
downtime for the users while the servers get upgraded.

Thanks,
mark