[ansel] Tree view mods

Ben Chavet ben at chavet.net
Mon Feb 23 12:08:31 PST 2004

> As for the graphic, I don't see a major problem with using the thumbnail
> image for the preview, but that's my opinion.  I guess if there are
> multiple preview images on the same page then load times might be a
> factor and I could see the benefit of the icon image.  I'm just afraid
> that it will make it more complex to maintain the images.  How are the
> thumbs and screen resolution images handled currently, meaning when are
> they regenerated (if ever)?  Is it as the result of any image
> manipulation function?  Then you'd have to extend all the functions to
> rebuild all three of the scaled images.

Currently, the thumbnail and screen images are generated on the first
request of
that image. The result is then stored for future requests.  Why don't we just
go with the thumbnail images for now & see how it looks.  It shouldn't be too
dificult to add the _icon functionality later if necessary.

> This would be a problem for both GBO and non-GBO based views.  I think
> it may be worthwhile to try and make the view the same, just have
> different grouping.  That makes the code more understandable and
> maintainable down the road.  Simply implement a different sort mechanism
> for the gallery data prior to calling the view templates.  Then it would
> be fairly easy to implement a new grouping preference (say by subject or
> keyword or category...).  Unfortunately, this means that the existing
> views need to be recoded as there are two distinct templates for each
> grouping for each view.  This makes the current implementation hard to
> extend.

Agreed.  That's a lot of work, but the end result would definitely be more
flexible.

--Ben