[ansel] Ansel::listGalleries()

Heath S. Hendrickson heath at outerspaceconsultants.com
Mon May 10 06:32:01 PDT 2004

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting "Heath S. Hendrickson" <heath at outerspaceconsultants.com>:
>
>> That was the reasoning behind my point on the images having a
>> parent->child relationship (though not terribly clear, I'll admit... can
>> I claim delusions... I did have a 104 fever earlier today).  If that is
>> the case, then you just have to change the parent for the
>> gallery/sub-gallery and all the images follow along, right?
>

> If all the datatree stuff works correctly, yes, but it's not
> necessarily a lot
> cleaner/easier.
>
> Besides, the way we have it now gives us the flexibility to have
> images in more
> than one gallery, which we'd lose if we made them children of a gallery.

I thought of that right after I sent the email.  So, what has to happen
if I move a sub-gallery in the current design?  The gallery has to get a
new parent, but the images themselves don't need any changes, do they?
Aren't they just connected to the containing gallery?

>> I had enough trouble redesigning a site I maintain in XHTML/CSS.... and
>> it was a simple static site w/o PHP or all of the Horde stuff.  I'd
>> think that it would be more than a simple patch to update Ansel to full
>> XHTML1.0 Transitional... let alone Strict.
>

> What in Ansel *isn't* XHTML already?
>
> And what does the difficulty of doing a full XHTML/CSS site have to do
> with
> Horde? Horde already generates mostly all xhtml transitional, though
> newer apps
> like Ansel haven't necessarily been gone through with a fine-toothed
> validator
> yet.

I guess I was confusing some things.  I guess what I meant wasn't so
much XHTML as it was a comment on the heavy use of nested tables for
layout as opposed to pure CSS for layout.  There are pros and cons to
using nested tables, though.  In their favor is the broswer
compatibility factor.  Use of  pure CSS is a little trickier when you
try and maintain some level of browser compatibility.  Recoding Ansel to
use pure CSS for layout would be a somwhat major undertaking, right?