[ansel] Problem with sub-galleries and XP-publishing???

Heath S. Hendrickson heath at outerspaceconsultants.com
Mon May 10 06:52:10 PDT 2004

Joaquim Homrighausen wrote:

>  * Quoting Ben Chavet <ben at chavet.net>:
>
> Actually, this is one of the things I am missing from many gallery-like
> applications. Just because I upload an image to my "collection", I don't
> necessarily want to limit its use to one collection/gallery.
>
> -Joaquim
>

>> It actually makes a copy of the image.  I was thinking about using
>> pointers, but how often would an image actually be copied to another
>> gallery?  Probably not often enough to make it worth the headache of
>> using pointers.

The only gallery application that I've seen that does have this feature
is Exhibit Engine.  But it's missing a lot of features of the rest that
I value more (namely the auto-creation of the screen and thumb images).
EE is designed around an exhibit metaphor, where you have a bucket of
images and you can assign them to exhibit's.  I have to give some credit
to Pekka (the EE creator).  He started not knowing any PHP or database
programming and created it from the ground up.  The only thing that EE
has that would be of some use is the "micro-thumb" concept.  There is a
third resolution of images that are used sorta like a massive contact
sheet for arranging and working with all of the images at once.  Not a
lot of use in the current rev of Ansel, though.